Wayside Community Fire Company was founded in 1919. The cardinal function of the department at this time was fighting brush fire, mostly by using tanks carried on the backs of the fire fighters. This activity earned the department the nickname of “Stump Jumpers”. The original firehouse was located at the triangular corner of Wayside Road and Green Grove Road. The company remained in the original 2 story firehouse until 1964, when the newer 1 story firehouse was built. The original firehouse remained for many years until it was later torn down. The new firehouse is located at 2 Volunteer Way.